Monday, February 23, 2015

Day 3: Austin

Feb 14. - Austin, TX

My colleague lost his debit card last night, likely at the beer garden we visited on 6th Street. We decided to leave a day early, hitting up a couple of coffee shops with open mics on the Facebook group's list on our way out in order to get photos of the spaces.

The first coffee shop we visited was Irie Bean Coffee House. I learned from the barista that due to renovations being made to the back of the strip mall where the shop was located, the open mic was no longer happening. Having come up against a few dead ends at this point, I decided to call ahead to another coffee house we were going to visit, Austin Java, where the barista I spoke with confirmed they did, in fact, still regularly hold one. I asked for the organizers name so I could interview him on the phone at a later point in time.

Finishing our coffee, my colleague and I headed to the next coffee house. The building is located at 1206 Parkway in downtown Austin and had a very interesting layout. The shop has a large patio, a full-service bar in the front of the shop with a kitchen, feeling more like a bistro than a traditional coffee house. However, in the back of the shop is a large room with a full stage setup on the far wall from the door and the rest of the room housing tables and chairs. for patrons to use. I took several photos, which bothered one of the patrons who requested I not include him in any of them.

Front cashier

Bar area

Entrance to the back lounge area

Bulletin board in the hall to the back 

Seating area of the back

Stage

Ramp down into the lounge

View of the stage from the entryway

After a long weekend of lost items and wandering, we then agreed it was time to head home. Though I did not get to see everything or meet everyone I was hoping to see before I came down here, I feel confident that I have gathered enough preliminary information on my topic area to warrant another trip back at a time when I can see and meet the communities where these events happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment